Harvard-trained dermatologist Dr. Iris Rubin developed SEEN after experiencing breakouts whenever she went to the salon—and traced them back to a surprising cause: The hair-care products that were used. After several years of testing, she finally created the perfect formulas that provided all the benefits of prestige hair care without clogging pores or irritating the skin. SEEN helps all skin types play it safe by eliminating many common hair-care ingredients that can contribute to acne and irritation—and by including other ingredients that can have a positive effect on both the hair and skin.
When it comes to managing acne, using non-comedogenic products for both the skin and hair is key. SEEN’s hair-care formulas help maintain healthy skin from head to toe by not clogging pores, but there are additional steps you can take to keep face and body breakouts as bay. (But if you’re unable to achieve improvement on your own, seek the help of a dermatologist.)
Tips for preventing facial breakouts
- Wash your face after shampooing and conditioning before getting out of the shower (if you’re not already using SEEN).
- Change your pillowcase and the towel you use to dry your face after cleansing at least once a week.
- Wash your face soon after working out.
- Don’t pick blemishes, as this could promote the spread of bacteria.
- Avoid scrubbing, which can make inflammation worse.
- Avoid holding your phone against your face—and clean your screen regularly.
Tips for fighting body acne
- Use products labeled as “non-comedogenic” for your skin and hair.
- After you work out, lingering sweat and skin oils create the ideal recipe for body breakouts. Although showering ASAP after exercising is ideal, you can bide some time by changing your clothes (at the very least).
- Check your workout gear’s fabric information. If you’re concerned about body acne, opts for lightweight fabrics that “breathe” such as cotton—and steer clear of nylon and wool.
- Have anti-bacterial wipes on hand to ensure any workout equipment (including yoga mats) is clean before use.